When you schedule your first appointment, Keeping Connected therapist Adrienne Bairstow will send you an intake form to be returned prior to the first session.
The first one or two sessions are “assessment” sessions. You assess if my style fits with you and I assess if I can provide the services you are looking for. If we decide there is a good fit between us:
- sessions are generally weekly for the first few sessions
- at that point in time we may move to bi-weekly sessions if that appears appropriate
- depending on the concern and the length of time it has been troubling them, individuals generally start to notice improvement in the first 4-8 sessions
- additional sessions may be helpful to further explore issues and practice new skills.
The typical scenario above is subject to change depending on circumstances. You may receive “homework” assignments or have books or other resources suggested to you. Taking part in this work outside of session can decrease the number of sessions you require to reach your goals.
Couples & Marriage Counselling:
The first few sessions are “assessment” sessions. You assess if my style is a good fit for you and I assess if couples therapy is best for you given your circumstances. The first sessions generally take the following format :
- a joint session with the 2 of you for about 75 minutes
- the next two sessions are individual sessions of 50 minutes each
- the following appointment is a 75 minute joint feedback session
If we decide there is a good fit between you and me and if I decide that couple’s therapy is a good treatment option for you:
- the following sessions are 75 minute joint sessions
- sessions are generally weekly to start
- we may move to bi-weekly sessions as this appears appropriate
- couples generally start to notice improvement in their relationship in the
first 8-12 sessions
- additional sessions are used to build on these changes and consolidate new patterns of interacting
The typical scenario above is subject to change depending on circumstances. You may receive “homework” assignments or have books or other resources suggested to you. Taking part in this work outside of session can decrease the
number of sessions you require to reach your goals.
In the case of sex therapy, it may make sense to come in on your own or to invite your partner to join you. We can discuss this at the first session if you are not sure which is best for you. Sex therapy may involve a combination of relationship work and work on your particular sexual concern.
Depending on the concern, you may be referred to your family doctor or another medical specialist for medical consultation. Sex therapy may be conducted at the same time as medical treatment.
The length of treatment depends on the concern and your particular circumstances.
To book an appointment online now click here: Schedule Appointment